Hackney has ambitious plans to make our borough the most sustainable urban living space in London. To achieve this Hackney will set out a coherent set of sustainable transport policies, proposals and actions in its forthcoming Transport Strategy 2014-2024.
Some of the goals we want to achieve by 2024 are to ensure:
- Hackney remains one of London's most liveable borough with green, safe and thriving neighbourhoods, streets and public spaces where different communities get on and interact.
- To have play an important role in improving resident's health and well being, as well as tackling obesity levels through higher rates of active travel.
- Continue to advance the case for key public transport infrastructure improvements in Hackney and promoting linked trips, with Crossrail 2 which is at an advanced stage of design and implementation.
- Enhance residents' access to jobs, training and essential services without increasing congestion on public transport or roads.
- Strengthen the role of sustainable transport in facilitating Hackney's continued regeneration and supporting the local economy through initiatives such as the 'Love Hackney, Shop Loca' campaign.
- Continue the reduction of car ownership and made it unnecessary for residents to need to own a private vehicle.
- Significantly improve air quality and lowered carbon emissions from our transport system.
- To be better prepared for the implications of climate change on the public realm and transport network.